Read the updated story in the Daily Camera here: Boulder police arrest suspect in 2 beatings; 1 victim suffers ‘grave injuries’ . . . Copied below in its entirety:
Boulder police arrested a homeless man on suspicion of attempted murder and assault after they say he beat two men four hours apart late Monday and early Tuesday — leaving one victim hospitalized in critical condition.
James Craig Dobson, 56, was booked into the Boulder County Jail on Tuesday afternoon on suspicion of second-degree attempted murder and first-, second- and third-degree assault.
James Craig Dobson (Boulder Police Department)
Police initially were dispatched to the corner of 27th Way and Baseline Road at 10:30 p.m. Monday on a report of a 50-year-old man who had been attacked and sustained injuries that were not life-threatening.
That man was transported to Boulder Community Health’s Foothills Hospital, and police were unable to locate a suspect.
Police were called out to that same location at 2:30 a.m. Tuesday and found a 43-year-old man with “grave injuries” that police said appeared to be consistent with a beating.
That victim, who police said was homeless, also was transported to the Foothills Hospital, where he remained in critical condition as of Tuesday evening.
Neither victim has been identified publicly by police.
Through interviews, police identified Dobson as a person of interest in both cases. Police initially didn’t know where Dobson was, but said at 10 a.m. Tuesday that they’d located him.
After interviewing Dobson, police announced his arrest shortly before 5 p.m. Tuesday. He is due to make a first appearance in court at the Boulder County Jail today.
Court records show Dobson has a lengthy criminal history in Boulder County, including arrests for obstructing a police officer, criminal mischief, trespassing, theft and burglary.
The area where the assaults occurred is frequented by panhandlers and transients. Police said the victims and Dobson knew each other, and are all believed to be homeless. (Emphasis is mine — MRW.)
Police have not released any information on a possible motive for the attacks.
The area on Tuesday was cordoned off with yellow crime-scene tape, and multiple officers and evidence technicians could be seen placing evidence markers next to what appeared to be a pool of blood and items in the dirt area off the side of the road.
The on-ramp to Denver-bound U.S 36 from Baseline Road and the eastbound turn lane of 28th Street onto Baseline were both closed for hours Tuesday morning while Boulder police investigated.
What do our homeless advocates think about this dangerous part of Boulder, one I’ve taken care to avoid in the 9+ years I’ve lived here as a homeless man? Are they concerned by a few violent homeless men preying on others? Apparently, not at all!
See: Boulder McDonald’s chills some with closure affecting homeless from the DC in early 2014. Excerpt follows:
(Jeremy Papasso / DAILY CAMERA)
A McDonald’s restaurant on Baseline has received several complaints after allegedly barring homeless customers from entering the restaurant last week.
McDonald’s, 2920 Baseline Road, usually opens its inside dining area at 6 a.m. Yet a recorded phone call between the restaurant’s manager, Manuel Lopez, and a customer named Darren O’Connor, showed that the dining area stayed closed on Thursday morning, apparently to keep out customers who appeared to be homeless.
McDonald’s owner Aaron Holland said the closure was not meant to discriminate, but was only intended to give the understaffed location a chance to catch up after getting a larger-than-average crowd so early in the morning.
Yet in the recording, Lopez said the closure allowed the restaurant to cut down on customer complaints.
“We have a lot of homeless guys coming up, and if it’s just a couple of them, we usually let them in because it’s cold. When there is a lot of them, we have to do something because a lot of the customers complain about it,” Lopez said in the recording.
O’Connor, who recorded the phone conversation and posted it on YouTube after learning that only the drive-through was open, said the restaurant was unfairly discriminating against the homeless.
“You are clearly discriminating against our homeless community, who is coming in with money to buy food and drink, and you’re closing the doors,” O’Connor told Lopez in the recording . . .
However, this FAKE complaint wasn’t even supported by our local ACLU! The story concludes:
Judd Golden of the Boulder County chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union said private businesses have broad discretion to refuse service so long as they aren’t discriminating based on race, gender or another protected class. For example, they can discourage customers who spend very little money and take up space for a very long time.
JUST ONCE, I’D LIKE TO HEAR DARREN O’CONNOR AND THE OTHER ENABLERS HOLD THE WORST-BEHAVED TRANSIENTS ACCOUNTABLE.
Don’t hold your breath waiting for them to condemn these vicious felonies; that might cause people to rethink donating to Boulder’s homeless shelter / services industry.