Read the latest outrage reported in the Daily Camera here. Copied below in its entirety:
Michael David Smith (Boulder Police Department / Courtesy photo)
Boulder police on Wednesday announced that a man deemed to be a “sexually violent predator” has changed his address and will be staying along Broadway near the Boulder Shelter for the Homeless.
Michael David Smith, 48, originally registered with Boulder police in August and said he would be staying in an abandoned building east of 55th Street and Arapahoe Avenue and north of the golf course, according to a news release.
Smith also told police he would be couch surfing at 2995 Eagle Way No. 24, but on Wednesday police said Smith will also be staying along Broadway between Violet Avenue and Lee Hill Drive.
Boulder police spokeswoman Shannon Cordingly said that Smith is not actually staying at the homeless shelter, and he is not currently on probation or parole, so he is not eligible for a parole bed and would have to make his own arrangements if he wants to stay at the shelter.
She added that police will be conducting extra patrols in the area, as they do whenever a person with a “sexually violent predator” designation is known to be living in the area.
“That is something we have always done,” she said. “It’s just an extra layer of safety.”
Court records indicate that Smith has a conviction for second-degree child molestation out of Rhode Island in 2004 and a 2015 conviction for sexual contact without consent. The “sexually violent predator” designation is given to people convicted of certain sexual offenses who are believed to be likely to commit more offenses (Emphasis is mine — MRW).
The announcement comes on the heels of another “sexually violent predator,” Christopher Lawyer, 42, who has been living in a parole bed at the homeless shelter since early May after attempts to move to Jamestown and Longmont were met with resistance.
Believed to be the first person from Boulder County to receive the “sexually violent predator” designation, Lawyer was released from prison last year after serving about 15 years in connection to the violent rape of a Boulder newspaper carrier in 2000.
He was sent back to prison for about six months in December after he was found in possession of pornography, which was a violation of his parole.
North Boulder resident Jacky Jones circulated an online petition to keep Lawyer out of Boulder. The petition has gathered more than 1,000 signatures, and Jones said she spoke to the Boulder City Council on Tuesday night.
She said she hadn’t heard about Smith moving into the area, but she was dismayed upon finding out, saying, “That’s obviously very scary for all of us.”
“That makes all of us not want to walk to north Boulder businesses or the library or use the trails,” she said. “It’s more important now than ever that we keep this petition going, and the community rallies and lets the city know that we don’t accept this.”
Boulder has it all backwards . . . It’s the rapists and pedophiles who should be SCARED, not decent citizens! And in other cities where I’ve lived, the pervs keep a very low profile rather than flaunting their degenerate natures to everyone.